You’re on a Journey of Renewal
You may have your own title for this – less grand and optimistic sounding.
Maybe your way of talking about it sums up the challenge of your current situation:
- “I hate my job.”
- “I’m in transition.”
- “I’m exhausted but need to keep going.”
- “I lost my job, my marriage, my spark, my dream…”
- “I know I don’t want this anymore, but I don’t know what I DO want.”
- “I’m figuring out what’s next.”
- “I’m ready. Ready for something more.”
However you express it, know that the loss of your old dream is neither a mistake you made, nor a problem with some logical solution that you’ve somehow missed. Most simply – you’ve outgrown it.
And now Life is calling you to discover new brilliance.
Change – Where the Journey Begins
Your change may be external: your job went away, a relationship ended, your nest is suddenly empty, a loved one died, the housing market collapsed…
Or perhaps your change is more internal:
- A career path that used to be comfortable has begun to feel too small.
- Important parts of your life that were satisfying have lost meaning.
- Work that used to energize now drains you.
- A goal you achieved and enjoyed is starting to feel like a jail.
Whether something INSIDE has changed and old roles no longer fit, or an OUTSIDE change has mugged your old life, here you are.
Welcome to transition. The journey has begun.
(And, as you’ll discover here at Brilliant NEXT, you’re in very good travel company.)
Destination: Your Brilliant NEXT
You may not be clear exactly where you’re headed, yet you already hold the dream of how you’ll feel when you arrive:
- You’ll feel ALIVE. More fully alive and completely YOURSELF than ever.
- You’ll feel a burning CLARITY of purpose. Calm yet SURE, VIBRANT, PASSIONATE.
- You’ll stand CENTERED again in your confidence. Not in ego but in KNOWING.
- You’ll be OPEN. Opened-hearted. Open with renewed TRUST, connection, and a sense of harmony with something bigger. Life, God, Spirit – whatever fits your personal language.
- You’ll feel READY. Ready to follow your fire. Ready to create the work and life that will carry your new brilliance into the world.
Here at Brilliant NEXT we talk about this renewal-point as “New Fire.”
I’m not saying you’ll feel this fire every minute. I certainly don’t. Yet once found, its flame will remain in your heart. You’ll come back to it again and again as you move forward. It will inspire, guide, illuminate, and be embodied in the Brilliant NEXT you create.
If you’re reading this, you are probably feeling far-from-fire in some important part of your life. Yet you’ve experienced “fire” before; in past life-chapters when direction was clear and enthusiasm abundant.
And this NEXT LifeWork your fire will burn even brighter and more true.
No matter how distant it may seem today. Even if you see no path.
The Territory of Renewal
The gap between where you stand now and the new fire that’s calling you is the territory of renewal. I talk about it as a journey because the way forward is a process of active discovery. And the bigger the change, the more it’s a process of internal discovery. Going outside what you know. Wilderness.
And like wilderness, no one I know has ever described transition as comfortable. So, if you’re past the exhausting denial phase, you likely have a crowd of uncomfortable feelings. Along with a traffic jam of thoughts and questions.
If you’re like most of us, throw a little self-criticism into the mix.
The exact feelings depend on your personality, where you are on the journey, and this moment in time. They’re unique to you. Yet they also resonate with those of all people on a renewal journey, myself included.
- There is loss and grief. Anger.
- There is hope, curiosity, the stirring of dreams – moments of clarity & peace.
- And there are uncomfortable in-between feelings: vague emptiness, uncertainty, self doubt, lack of energy, and anxiety. Fear.
These are all part of the territory of renewal. While change happens, renewal is a choice. Not everyone is willing to leave the known and make the uncomfortable but necessary journey.
I’m guessing that you are.
10 Truths – “What I Know for Sure”
I have great respect for Oprah, and I love her use of this phrase enough to borrow it.
You’ve been reading an introduction to the LifeWork Renewal 101 Series.
From my own life & career passages, and from sharing the journey with hundreds of adults I’ve had the privilege to support in my 20+ years as a renewal coach, I offer this series of 10 brilliant Travel Truths, ten thing “I know for sure,” for the journey of renewal.
Over the next several weeks I’ll post regular new “Travel Truths” for this series. If you’re signed up for Brilliant NEXT updates you’ll receive a regular ezine with links to the new posts. (Sign-up form below and in the sidebar.)
Or you can return here, where I’ll add links to each of the series’ posts listed at the bottom of this post. (While I’m writing the series in an order that makes some sense to me, feel free to jump around and read the posts in whatever order fits your interest.)
These are my “Truths.” As you read, take from them any spark that has your name on it. And then add your own truth to the conversation here at Brilliant NEXT.
Tell us about Your Journey
So, before you go, jump to the comments section and tell us about your current “Journey.”
- What is your “title” for the journey? What aspects of your work and life are in transition?
- What’s your current mix of feelings? And how have these changed over time?
- What are your biggest challenges at this point?
Beyond encouraging you with my own experience and words, this site is a conversation, a community with other bright people traveling their own renewal journeys.
Your input, your truth, is at the heart of this. I look forward to hearing it, and it may be exactly what someone else needs to hear as well.
You can get to the comments area by clicking on this post’s title and scrolling down, or by just clicking HERE.
A Gift of Career Renewal
In this inspiring 9-page Special Report you’ll learn:
What is this time Between-Dreams? And why is it so important?
4 Affirmations for career renewal that can be a lifeline of hope in the confusion and uncertainty of this period.
4 “Guideposts” that offer a starting point for navigating to renewed clarity of purpose & direction.
LifeWork Renewal 101:
Ten Travel Truths for the Journey to Your Brilliant NEXT
- Truth #1: After the Leap and Before Landing: Your Time Between-Dreams
- Truth #2: When You’re Lost, A Map is Priceless
- Truth #3: Purpose & Passion: Finding Your NEXT Path
- Truth #4: Timeout to Listen
- Truth #5: You will be Afraid, Part 1, Part 2
- Truth #6: You will Grow
- Truth #7: You will Receive Guidance and Support
- Truth #8: There is Magic in Community
- Truth #9: There is Nourishment in Nature
- Truth #10: You will Blaze